For those interested in reviewing the books mentioned in this video, Click on our Ozarks' Bookstore: Rivers & Steamboats page.
Enjoy Your Ozarks' History.
1. Baldwin, Leland Dewitt. The Keelboat Age on Western Waters. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, 1980.
2. Huddleston, Duane, Sammie Rose, and Pat Wood. Steamboats and Ferries on the White River: A Heritage Revisited. Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas Press, 1998.
3. Way, Frederick. Ways Packet Directory, 1848-1994: Passenger Steamboats of the Mississippi River System since the Advent of Photography in Mid-continent America. Athens, OH: Ohio Univ. Press, 1995.
Other Sources Not Mentioned:
1. Allen, Michael. Western Rivermen, 1763-1861: Ohio and Mississippi Boatmen and the Myth of the Alligator Horse. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1990.
2. Brown, Mattie. "River Transportation in Arkansas, 1819-1890." The Arkansas Historical Quarterly 1, no. 4 (1942): 342-54. doi:10.2307/40037518.
3. Gudmestad, Robert H. Steamboats and the Rise of the Cotton Kingdom. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 2011.
4. Hunter, Louis C. Steamboats on the Western Rivers: An Economic and Technological History. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1949.
5. Kane, Adam I. The Western River Steamboat. College Station, TX: Texas A & M University Press, 2004.
6. Paskoff, Paul F. Troubled Waters: Steamboat Disasters, River Improvements, and American Public Policy, 1821-1860. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 2007.